This Pumpkin Roll with Cream Cheese Filling is one crowd pleasing dessert I will always go back to! Soft sweet swirling layers of beautiful cake and delectable cream cheese filling will leave you feeling super impressed with your baking skills. It’s so easy to make and so good to eat.
Give me ALL the pumpkin!
How to Roll a Pumpkin Roll with Cream Cheese Filling (or any jelly roll cake)
Commonly known as a jelly roll, I know they get a bad rap. The traditional method of making them (where you flip the baked cake onto a big towel that’s covered with powdered sugar) is really messy, more involved, and not fool-proof. I also have always had this bizarre reluctance to put my cake in a towel…Plus when it’s over you’re left with a sticky cake towel.
Parchment paper solved all our jelly roll problems! No towels are needed and it’s SO much easier. Roll your pumpkin cake using the parchment paper you baked it on and let it sit until cool. Then unroll it, add frosting, and roll it back up! Lift cake and parchment paper from hot pan to flat heat safe surface and immediately begin to slowly roll the cake with parchment paper still on all the way up. Leave cake rolled in parchment until it has cooled completely typically about an hour (let cool in an open space on a wire rack if possible). I’ve made the mistake of leaving it to cool in a closed cabinet to keep it from my diabetic kitten and the cake takes longer to cool and sweats on the parchment paper)
Shop My Favorite Kitchen Essentials for this Recipe!
click photos to link to recipe!
Looking for some other delicious recipes? Check these out!
click photos to link to recipe!
Tag @bingeworthybites on Instagram and hashtag it! #bingeworthybites
Looking for MORE recipes? Don’t worry, I gotchu. Try sesame soy roasted edamame, sea salt caramel apple [oatmeal] cookies, perfect Fall pumpkin muffins,or my favorite vanilla bean white chocolate cheesecake with fudge brownie crust
*This post may include affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Pumpkin Roll Delight
- 10 x 15 inch baking pan with parchment paper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Lightly grease parchment paper and line your 10 x 15 inch pan with it. Leave about an inch of extra paper on both lengths of the 15 inch sides of the pan (this makes it easy to lift the cake out of the pan while it's still hot).
- In a large bowl whisk flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and ground cinnamon together. In a separate bowl OR your food processor mix eggs, granulated sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, and pumpkin puree and mix well
- Gradually add all dry ingredients to your batter until its blended and smooth.
- Pour batter into parchment lined pan and spread evenly across.
- Bake the cake at 350°F for 10-15 minutes. It bakes quickly, so keep a close eye on it.
- Lift cake and parchment paper from hot pan to flat heat safe surface and immediately begin to slowly roll the cake with parchment paper still on all the way up. Leave cake rolled in parchment until it has cooled completely typically about an hour (let cool in an open space on a wire rack if possible. I've made the mistake of leaving it to cool in a closed cabinet to keep it from my diabetic kitten and the cake takes longer to cool and sweats on the parchment paper)
- While your cake is cooling, combine cream cheese, butter (softened), vanilla extract and powdered sugar together in your food processor or electric hand mixer until mixed well and fluffy.
- Once cake is cool carefully unroll it and peel off the parchment paper. Spread cream cheese filling evenly leaving about an inch from the edge (lengthwise) this will keep the filling from overflowing once you roll it!
- Slowly re-roll your cake, carefully transfer it to a plate, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 45 minutes prior to serving. When you are ready to serve put about a table spoon of powdered sugar in a sifter or strainer and tap to evenly distribute powder.
- To store, cover with plastic wrap and keep refrigerated.