Okay so, I made my own oven roasted peanut butter and it’s a REALLY big deal! It is SO easy to make and SO much tastier than anything store bought.This is THE peanut butter. I’m excited that I know how to make this gold from scratch, but disappointed that I have spent 26 years living in peanut butter ignorance. Choosy moms choose “store bought” until they’ve tried this recipe…
I went through the first batch so fast I didn’t get a chance to take pictures of the finished product, only the ‘before’ peanuts. I had to make three batches to get the whole step by step process photographed. It was delicious and worth it. I regret nothing.
Why use raw peanuts for peanut butter?
I took my peanut butter to a whole new level by buying raw peanuts and oven roasting them myself (which is also super easy). To be honest with you, I accidentally bought ‘raw peanuts’ the first time but continued to buy and roast them because I think it makes it that much better! The raw peanuts at my grocery store have a red skin on them – which lifts when you roast them. I have made batches with the skin on and off and honestly do not remember a big difference (if any at all).
Peanut skins (even when roasted) have a lot of antioxidants and they are high in dietary fiber, so leaving them on is more nutritious! *I of course found this out after removing the skins from my first batch*
How to make Oven Roasted Peanut Butter
This is the first batch of raw peanuts ready to roast! Spread them out on a lined pan and pop them in the oven. Occasionally take them out to stir them around so all sides get evenly roasted. You’ll know they’re ready because they turn golden brown and can smell an inviting roasted peanut smell!
I found a new love, and it’s roasted peanuts.
Ready for peanut butter GOLD? LISTEN TO MEEE, put the enticing little peanuts in the food processor with NOTHING else and just keep blending. They will turn to crumbs and you will think they need honey or something to help them become butter but they don’t! The peanuts are playing you. They go from crumbs to butter and it looks like magic. Just hang in there and whatever you do DON’T add honey (or agave). I’ve made this mistake and never again. If you add honey/agave too soon it causes the butter process to completely seize and it turns into this weird crumbly chunky mess. They’ll go from crumbs to butter, but to get them to that perfect creamy consistency add a couple tablespoons of coconut oil. (I add it 1 tablespoon at a time. I love always using coconut oil because it adds a nice sweet flavor). Wait to add honey and about a teaspoon of sea salt flakes at the end when you already have the desired consistency.
If you want chunky peanut butter (who doesn’t?) make sure you set aside a cup of peanuts for this last step. Add the remaining portion of peanuts and pulse the processor about 5-7 times so the peanuts get nicely chopped and evenly dispersed. IT’S ready to eat!
I love the thinner consistency of this peanut butter so I don’t usually refrigerate mine, but it is totally a preference thing! It keeps nicely either way.
Tag @bingeworthybites on Instagram and hashtag it! #bingeworthybites
EAT & ENJOY!
If you’re looking for some other delicious recipes? Check these out!
click photos to link to recipe!
Looking for MORE recipes? Don’t worry, I gotchu. Try sesame soy roasted edamame, sea salt caramel apple [oatmeal] cookies, perfect Fall pumpkin muffins, or my favorite pumpkin roll with cream cheese filling!
Oven Roasted Peanut Butter
years living in peanut butter ignorance. Choosy moms choose “store bought” until they’ve tried this recipe…
- food processor (this is mine: https://amzn.to/3uqGgck )
- baking sheet ( this is mine: https://amzn.to/2YxBDN8 )
- 1 lb raw red skin peanuts
- 2 tbsp coconut oil *this is a rough measurement I usually use - it depends on the consistency you like your peanut butter!
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes *this is a rough measurement that I usually use- it depends on how salty you like it
- 2 tbsp honey *this is a rough measurement that I usually use- it depends on how sweet you like it
INSTRUCTIONS: Oven Roasting (Raw) Peanuts
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Line a baking pan with aluminum foil/parchment paper and spread a single layer of peanuts across the sheet without peanuts overlapping
- For peanuts with shell removed it takes about 15 to 20 minutes for them to roast. Stir peanuts every 5-8 minutes so they roast evenly and don't burn.
- The peanuts are ready when they turn a light golden brown you will also begin to smell an inviting roasted peanut smell!
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes
INSTRUCTIONS: Peanut Butter
- Place your fresh roasted peanuts in your food processor and let it run for 5 minutes. *Do NOT add all peanuts if you want chunky peanut butter* set 1 cup of roasted peanuts aside for this!
- Peanuts will go from crumbles to clumps to a giant ball to butter
- Add coconut oil one tablespoon at a time until you reach desired creaminess ( I use coconut because it adds a nice sweet flavor).
- Once you have the desired consistency add honey (or agave) and about a teaspoon of sea salt flakes. Pulse the processor 5 to 7 times to evenly mix.
- CHUNKY PEANUT BUTTER*-Add the remaining portion of peanuts and pulse the processor about 5-7 times, so the peanuts get nicely chopped and evenly dispersed. EAT & ENJOY!