Okay so, I made my own oven roasted peanut butter and it’s a REALLY big deal! It is SO easy to make and SO much tastier than anything store bought.This is THE peanut butter. I’m excited that I know how to make this gold from scratch, but disappointed that I have spent 26 years living in peanut butter ignorance. Choosy moms choose “store bought” until they’ve tried this recipe…
I went through the first batch so fast I didn’t get a chance to take pictures of the finished product, only the ‘before’ peanuts. I had to make three batches to get the whole step by step process photographed. It was delicious and worth it. I regret nothing.
I took my peanut butter to a whole new level by buying raw peanuts and oven roasting them myself (which is also super easy). To be honest with you, I accidentally bought ‘raw peanuts’ the first time but continued to buy and roast them because I think it makes it that much better! The raw peanuts at my grocery store have a red skin on them – which lifts when you roast them. I have made batches with the skin on and off and honestly do not remember a big difference (if any at all).
Peanut skins (even when roasted) have a lot of antioxidants and they are high in dietary fiber, so leaving them on is more nutritious! *I of course found this out after removing the skins from my first batch*
This is the first batch of raw peanuts ready to roast! Spread them out on a lined pan and pop them in the oven. Occasionally take them out to stir them around so all sides get evenly roasted. You’ll know they’re ready because they turn golden brown and can smell an inviting roasted peanut smell!
I found a new love, and it’s roasted peanuts.
Ready for peanut butter GOLD? LISTEN TO MEEE, put the enticing little peanuts in the food processor with NOTHING else and just keep blending. They will turn to crumbs and you will think they need honey or something to help them become butter but they don’t! The peanuts are playing you. They go from crumbs to butter and it looks like magic. Just hang in there and whatever you do DON’T add honey (or agave). I’ve made this mistake and never again. If you add honey/agave too soon it causes the butter process to completely seize and it turns into this weird crumbly chunky mess. If they go from crumbs to butter but you want a creamier consistency add a little bit of oil (I always use about a tablespoon of coconut oil because it adds a nice sweet flavor). Wait to add honey and about a teaspoon of coarse sea salt at the end when you already have the desired consistency.
If you want chunky peanut butter (who doesn’t?) make sure you set aside a cup of peanuts for this last step. Add the remaining portion of peanuts and pulse the processor about 5-7 times so the peanuts get nicely chopped and evenly dispersed. IT’S ready to eat!
I love the thinner consistency of this peanut butter so I don’t refrigerate mine, but it is totally a preference thing! It keeps nicely either way.
Tag @bingeworthybites on Instagram and hashtag it! #bingeworthybites
EAT & ENJOY!
If you’re looking for some other delicious recipes? Check these out!
click photos to link to recipe!
- Looking for MORE recipes? Don’t worry, I gotchu. Try sesame soy roasted edamame, sea salt caramel apple [oatmeal] cookies, perfect Fall pumpkin muffins, or my favorite pumpkin roll delight!
Oven Roasted Peanut Butter GOLD
years living in peanut butter ignorance. Choosy moms choose “store bought” until they’ve tried this recipe…
- food processor (this is mine: https://amzn.to/307U3ED )
- baking sheet ( this is mine: https://amzn.to/2YxBDN8 )
- 1 lb Raw Red Skin Peanuts
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil *this is a rough measurement I usually use - it depends on the consistency you like your peanut butter!
- 1 tsp Coarse Sea Salt *this is a rough measurement that I usually use- it depends on how salty you like it
- 2 tbsp Honey *this is a rough measurement that I usually use- it depends on how sweet you like it
INSTRUCTIONS: Oven Roasting (Raw) Peanuts
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Line a baking pan with aluminum foil/parchment paper and spread a single layer of peanuts across the sheet without peanuts overlapping
- For peanuts with shell removed it takes about 15 to 20 minutes for them to roast. Stir peanuts every 5 or so minutes so they roast evenly and don't burn.
- The peanuts are ready when they turn a light golden brown you will also begin to smell an inviting roasted peanut smell!
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes
INSTRUCTIONS: Peanut Butter GOLD
- Place your fresh roasted peanuts in your food processor and let it run for 5 minutes. *Do NOT add all peanuts if you want chunky peanut butter* set 1 cup of roasted peanuts aside for this!
- Peanuts will go from crumbles to clumps to a giant ball to butter!
- For an even creamier consistency add a little bit of oil ( I use coconut
because it adds a nice sweet flavor).
- Once you have the desired consistency add honey (or agave) and about a teaspoon of coarse sea salt (I have also added a packet of Splenda during this phase on days I have a sweet tooth but that is totally to your discretion) Pulse the processor 5 to 7 times to evenly mix
- CHUNKY PEANUT BUTTER*-Add the remaining portion of peanuts and pulse the processor about 5-7 times so the peanuts get nicely chopped and evenly dispersed. IT’S ready to eat!