Sundays are officially the best days for me to meal prep. With a six-month-old son, my time for cooking has been significantly cut down, and for a good cause. On chilly days like today, while my husband watches Sunday football and the baby naps, I quickly whip up the easiest, most delicious thing that comes to mind - Creamy White Chicken Chili.
As a new mom, I am not exaggerating in the least when I say this is one of my favorite quick and VERY easy recipes to make. It doesn't have a ton of ingredients, and it's equally as easy to put together during a weeknight.
On a "chilly" day [like today], this Creamy White Chicken Chili will take you to new heights of coziness with just one warm delicious bowl of flavorful comfort food.
Feed an Entire Family
The ingredients in this Creamy White Chicken Chili could probably feed an entire family for several days. My husband and I both come from big families and when hosting, I love to make this chili when I don't particularly know how many guests to expect.
This recipe is even easy enough for a college student to put together. My sister-in-law loves this chili so much that she put in a special request for me to make it before she went back to school. I'm posting the recipe so she can make it any time while she's there!
Are you looking for a unique recipe to bring in for an annual chili cook-off at the office, or a holiday potluck?
Who said chili had to be tomato-based? This Creamy White Chicken Chili looks good and tastes good, it definitely hits the mark! After all, it's still a warm variety of meat, sauce, and spices in one pot. Throw off the judges with this non-traditional spin on classic chili!
Creamy White Chicken Chili Ingredients
I've put together my favorite combination of ingredients for this Creamy White Chicken Chili, but it can easily be customized to your liking.
- olive oil
- yellow onion
- Better than Bouillon chicken base
- cream cheese
- diced green chiles
- cannellini beans
- rotisserie chicken
- sea salt flakes
Creamy White Chicken Chili Seasonings
Creamy White Chicken Chili Ingredient Tips
Chicken- This is the perfect recipe for using up leftover rotisserie chicken, or using it as a shortcut in place of cooking and shredding chicken.
Corn- Use frozen corn, or substitute with canned corn.
Cayenne Pepper- use less if you want the chili to be more mild.
Best Chili Toppings
The Creamy White Chicken Chili is hearty and scrumptious all by itself, but I always love to layer on some crunchy or creamy toppings. Fritos and cheese (I've tried it with Monterey Jack) or oyster crackers will take this chili to the next level. You can always spice it up with jalapenos, or tone it down with some sour cream.
- Cheese (shredded)
- Oyster crackers
- Sour Cream
Prepping the Creamy White Chicken Chili Ingredients
Prepping a few of the items will save you a lot of time when putting all of the ingredients for this Creamy White Chicken Chili. You can of course add each ingredient by sequence, but I recommend a few simple steps prior to adding everything in together so that it is all ready to go.
- Dice the onion
- Mince the garlic
- Shred or pull the chicken, if using rotisserie
- Strain the beans
- Cut the cream cheese block into cubes
- Measure out the spices
- Slice the lime
Creamy White Chicken Chili Instructions
Drizzle 2 tablespoons of oil into a large pot or Dutch oven. Add in the diced onion and garlic and stir until they begin to soften.
Add in the diced green chiles and continue to stir as they become fragrant.
Sprinkle in the combination of seasonings. Stir so that the onion and chiles are evenly coated with the mixture.
While the vegetables are cooking down, add 1 cup of beans and ½ cup of chicken broth (a combination of water & Better Than Bouillion) into the food processor. Blend until a creamy consistency develops. Add the creamy blended bean mixture to the pot and stir.
Add the cubes of cream cheese to the pot; stir until the cream cheese melts and evenly distributes to give the broth a creamy consistency.
Pour in the remaining chicken broth and let it heat up.
Add the remaining beans, shredded chicken, and frozen corn to the pot. Stir all the ingredients to warm them up.
Squeeze the juice of ½ a lime over the creamy chili mixture, and sprinkle with a dash of sea salt flakes!
Give the ingredients one last stir, and let the ingredients simmer until you are ready to serve.
Divide the chili into bowls, garnish with toppings, and indulge!
Budget Friendly White Chicken Chili
I know this time of year, I like to clean out my freezer and start with a healthy routine. This recipe doesn't have a ton of ingredients and is also super budget-friendly. It can be adapted with whatever items you have in the fridge or freezer and is perfect to make with leftover rotisserie chicken. Feel free to switch up the type of beans, veggies, or spices according to your tastebuds or what is in your pantry!
Leftover Creamy White Chicken Chili
Leftovers can be stored in an air-tight container and refrigerated for several days. The flavor of the chili gets even better as the days go on and as the spices and aromas continue to soak into the ingredients.
More Warm, Hearty Recipes
If you're looking to enjoy some more warm and delicious recipes, check out some of these dishes below!
Creamy White Chicken Chili (Quick + Delicious)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 32 oz water
- 2 tablespoon better than bouillon chicken base
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 14 oz diced green chiles (in a can)
- 1½ teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (or less depending on if you want it more mild)
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 30 oz cannellini beans
- 10 oz frozen corn you can substitute this with canned corn*
- rotisserie chicken, shredded
- ½ small fresh lime (optional)
- sea salt to taste
- oyster crackers
- Heat olive oil in a pot and add in the diced onion and garlic. Stir until they begin to soften.
- Add in the diced green chiles and continue to stir as they become fragrant.
- While the vegetables are cooking down, add 1 cup of rinsed beans and ½ cup of chicken broth (a combination of water & BetterThan Bouillion) into the food processor. Blend until a creamy consistency develops. Add the creamy blended bean mixture to the pot, stir, and let simmer.
- Add the cubes of cream cheese to the pot; stir until the cream cheese melts and evenly distributes to give the broth a creamy consistency.
- Pour in the remaining chicken broth and let it simmer.
- Add the remaining beans, shredded chicken, and frozen corn to the pot. Stir together all the ingredients and allow them to heat up.
- Squeeze the juice of ½ a lime over the creamy chili mixture, and sprinkle with a dash of sea salt flakes, to taste (i use about 1 teaspoon).
- Stir the ingredients, and let simmer until ready to serve.